The Taphouse

Importance of Gear

Had a real lesson the other day on the importance of gear.

Both Gillyy and Giwwy completed the Celestial Blessings quest (where you fight Wrathion) and got their legendary cloak a while back. I remember it being a pretty difficult quest to complete at the time.

Anyway . . . I was thinking a few days ago that I should get the cloak on my horde mage, who just needed a couple of tokens. So, I got them and went out to meet with the four celestials.

So, I got to the part where you have to complete the challenge and defeat Wrathion. I couldn’t quite remember how it worked, so I thought I’d try it once to refresh myself on what was needed, and then start the serious attempts another night(s).

I started the event up and begin blasting Wrathion. Twenty seconds later it was over and the quest completed. Just like that!

Of course, I figured it must be my sheer skill … then I realized that my horde mage was probably 30 iLevels higher than Gilly and Giwwy did it many months ago.

What an eye opened on just how much of a gear based game this is.

I'm hoping for a similar experience when it comes time to take little Inflammable through the warlock epic level 90 quest. Felpaw was so happy to hit almost 500 iLevel and do it. I'm hoping with an heirloom weapon and some crafted gear I can make it a bit easier for my fuzzy brain which doesn't quite remember how the boss encounter goes.
I just did it a third time yesterday, with a second hunter. The iLevel was 443. It took a little longer than it did with Olwyn, but only took TWO attempts...not 50!

Yes...iLevel matters

Autumnsbane wrote:
I just did it a third time yesterday, with a second hunter. The iLevel was 443. It took a little longer than it did with Olwyn, but only took TWO attempts...not 50!

Yes...iLevel matters

Like I mentioned my attempt was only supposed to be a quick look to refresh my memory before trying it later. So, no extra buffs, flasks or anything extra ... and still over in seconds.

My jaw literally dropped as I watched his health vanish.

Gillyy wrote:

Like I mentioned my attempt was only supposed to be a quick look to refresh my memory before trying it later. So, no extra buffs, flasks or anything extra ... and still over in seconds.

My jaw literally dropped as I watched his health vanish.

Do you recall the iLevel of your mage? What was her iLevel. What spec were you using. Most importantly, how did you not get cremated by those oozes? I tried fire, but the casts take too long. I tried frost for the pet and novas, and even with an ice barrier, I am practically one-shotted by those oozes.

Part of it for me is muscle memory and reaction time I suppose. It is not my main, and the challenge of thinking and responding on the run is pretty considerable.

Autumnsbane wrote:
Do you recall the iLevel of your mage?

560 or 561 or there abouts. Used arcane.

What I did was use Time Warp and Arcane Power right off the top and blasted him. By the time the oozes started to appear, he was almost done.

As soon as the oozes started to form, I blinked up to the balcony and hit invisibility. The oozes didn't follow. Once the mirror images disappeared, Wrathion came up the stairs, and I hit him with a couple of arcane blasts for the quest complete.

I probably could have killed him before the oozes finished forming if I hadn't blinked up the stairs, but that seemed riskier.

So, bottom line is that there is no muscle memory or smart stuff needed. Happy

I should probably run Ordos every week to jack up Astryd's gear then.

Here is a Tweet I found, since we are on the subject of Legendary Cloaks

Character / Items
(player says)i find it awkward after leveling to 100 that im still wearing legendary cloak and a few pieces of raid gear from SoO

(Blizz says)
The alternative is "I replaced my hard-earned legendary with a quest green, thanks Bliz." Dungeon gear should beat all of that. (WatcherDev)

That answer looks like Celestalon was using Watcherdev's account LOL!

Looking forward to a prompt release. Logged on yesterday and found myself disoriented in old content. I need to be disoriented in new content.

Site Contributions
Help pay for this website! Add upgraded days directly. more info
Plan Info
Current Plan: Essential
Monthly Cost: $8.99

0 Days Remaining
No FB Yes FB Hand (smaller) Lap 40.063em Desk 64.063em Wall 90.063em